- Pharr-San Juan-Alamo ISD
PSJA ISD School Board approves resolution to compensate employees after last week's weather crisis
Dear PSJA Team,
Our PSJA ISD School Board Approved a resolution Monday night ensuring all staff members, especially those paid hourly who were unable to work from home, are not counted absent or lose pay due to the weather and power outages crisis we endured last week.
We appreciate our School Board of Trustees for passing this resolution, and always having the best interest of our PSJA team in mind. We hope this is a better week for all.
Thank you to all of our employees for exemplifying the Spirit of PSJA, and for your continued dedication to the students and families of PSJA ISD!
Dr. Jorge L. Arredondo
Superintendent of Schools
PHARR-SAN JUAN-ALAMO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
February 22, 2021
Whereas, the recent destruction caused by the weather event on February 15, 16,17, 18 and 19th 2021 resulted in the closure of all schools and facilities in the Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District (PSJA ISD), for the safety of students and staff; and
Whereas, through circumstances completely beyond their control, PSJA ISD employees were forced to miss workdays due to the closure of school facilities and operations; and
Whereas, there is a public purpose served and a benefit to PSJA ISD to demonstrate support of its employees, enhance employee morale and support the retention of employees; and
Whereas, the Board believes that a public purpose exists for forgiving or excusing the absences of an employee on days when the employee is not able to work due to the closure of school facilities or operations are closed;
Now therefore it be resolved by the Board that:
1. All of the above-referenced paragraphs are incorporated into and made part of this resolution; and
2. The Board determines that the District will not require employees to make up workdays missed due to closure of school facilities or operations as a result of the weather event; and
3. The Board finds that a public purpose and a benefit to the PSJA ISD exists to compensate PSJA ISD employees for any workdays missed due to closure of school facilities or operations as a result of the weather event, and that this expenditure is necessary in the conduct of the public schools as provided by Texas Education Code § 45.105(c);
4. The Board finds that a public purpose and a benefit to PSJA ISD exists to compensate PSJA ISD nonexempt employees premium pay in accordance with PSJA ISD Board Policy DEA (LOCAL) who worked during the closure of school facilities regardless of the weather event, and that this expenditure is necessary in the conduct of the public schools as provided by Texas Education Code § 45.105(c);
5. The Board hereby authorizes the Superintendent to excuse absences of District employees and pay full compensation to employees as deemed appropriate to fulfill the purpose of this Resolution.
Adopted by the vote of the majority of members of the Board of Trustees of the Pharr-San Juan-Alamo ISD present and voting at an open meeting of the Board on the _23__ day of February 2021.